Your roof is one of the biggest investments you can make in your home. How can a new roof can increase the value of your home? Remember that the actual value of your home depends largely on how well your roof performs. Not only that, but new roofs are required to make sure the energy efficiency of your home matches your power demands and the standards set by your state. Some roofs wear down faster than others, so when you get to a place where you need to replace your roof you need to make sure that you choose a good contractor who is experienced in installing all types of roofs.
Installing a new roof is a great investment because you are guaranteed of increased home value. Just imagine the positive report of a home inspector, which is good news for potential home buyers.
In this article, you will learn how a new roof can skyrocket your home value so you can decide what roofing material and style are best for your property.
1. Improve Your Home’s Aesthetic Appeal
If you sell your home and your roof is in top shape and looks new, you can demand a higher price for your home. However, an old roofing system with cracks, dirt, and stains is a major turn-off. Whether you’re planning to sell your home in the near future or in a decade, keeping your roof in its best condition will definitely improve your home’s aesthetic appeal and value.
When it comes to aesthetic appeal, the type of roof design matters. Flat roof, gable, and hipped roof styles are three very common styles of roofs. Each style has its own advantages and disadvantages. Gable and hipped roofs are designed to give the same advantages of a flat roof but also provide additional features such as dormers, but flat roofs are the least expensive. Choosing the best roofing style for your home affects its value over time.
Discuss your roofing style and material options to an expert Colorado Springs roofing contractor so that you can make a sound decision as to what style and roofing material is best for your home.
2. Durable Roofing Materials
Depending on the design and materials, a new roof can substantially increase the value of your home. If you have chosen slate for your new roof, then you have made a good decision because this roofing material is highly resistant to UV rays and has amazing insulation properties. All roofs will deteriorate over time, so keep repairs or replacements in mind if you choose a less expensive roofing system.
Check the most durable roofing materials for a new roof:
- Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingle roofing is one of the most popular roofing materials. It’s highly favored due to its affordable price without compromising protection. This type of roof provides utmost protection against heavy rain, snow, and hail storms.
- Metal: Metal roofs have plenty of benefits, including fire resistance, wind resistance, and energy efficiency. This type of roofing is easy to install, highly recyclable, environmentally friendly, and lasts longer as compared to most other options.
- Clay Tile: Clay tiles are most-sought for their traditional beauty and long service life (up to 100 years).
- Wood Shake: They are thicker as compared to wood shingles since they’re hand-cut and not machine-made. Wood can stabilize your interior because it’s a natural insulator. Also, it has an impressive lifespan of up to 40 years with proper maintenance.
- Slate: Slate roofing is a popular roofing material seen in many historic buildings. It is known for its superior durability and longevity. If you want to combine elegance and traditional beauty with enhanced roofing protection, slate roofing is a perfect choice. While slates come with a more expensive price tag, the benefits and long-term savings outweigh the upfront cost.
3. Superior Weather Protection
You may have a gorgeous house and great exterior. How much a new roof can increase the value of your home depends on how well the new roof will protect your interior. If you live in an area with extreme weather, such as hurricanes or tornadoes, you may want to invest in new roofing.
Future home buyers find houses with new roofs appealing because modern roofing materials are secure, tough, and reliable. They provide superior weather protection, which is especially desirable if you live in an area where extreme weather conditions occur.
4. Benefit from Extended Warranties
There’s always an associated warranty with anything new, including new roofs. A new roofing system to replace old and rusty shingles can increase your home value thanks to the extended warranties. Installing asphalt shingles come with a standard 15–20 years warranty, and high-quality roofs have 50 years warranty or even more.
Check the following benefits of extended warranties for a new roof:
- Save time and money on early repairs or shingle replacement.
- Provide potential home buyers peace of mind that they will be safe when they decide to purchase your home.
- Keep you and your loved ones comfortable and safe inside your house, especially during harsh weather conditions.
5. Better Roofing Technology and Energy-Efficiency
With great technological advancements, the roofing sector has incorporated new features to modern, new roofs. One example is customized shingle technology, wherein the roofing material and design of a new roof are based on the exact location and environmental factors of the client’s home. Another example is solar panel roofing, which increases a home’s energy-efficiency as it eliminates the need to use as much traditionally-supplied electricity.
With this technology applied to new roofs, it will attract future home buyers because of the following reasons:
- New homeowners will benefit from reduced electric bills.
- A house for sale with a new roof is a good catch because it will save the next owners costly repairs and early shingle roof replacement.
- Newer roofs are more energy-efficient and durable.
6. Never Deal with Roof Inspection Issues
As you probably realized, replacing your old roof with a new one would mean less stress whenever a home inspection is done. There’s a better chance you’ll sell your house faster if you tackle roofing issues before the inspection, which can hold up the sale of a home if the inspector requires you to fix up certain issues.
Here are the advantages of not having to deal with roof inspection issues:
- Avoid prolonged listing.
- Gives a good first impression to potential buyers.
- Higher price tag for your home.
7. Prevents Possible Damages and Pest Infestation
Installing a new roof helps prevent exterior and interior home damage caused by mold, pests, and leaks. These elements lower the value of your home if a home inspection catches them. If you have a new roof, potential buyers will likely be more interested in buying your house and willing to spend more money because it means the home is likely in better condition than others on the market.
Skyrocket the value of your home with a high-quality new roof. Make sure that your new roof is inspected periodically by a trained professional to make sure it is in good condition to preserve its lifespan and less repairs. If your roof has damage, such as a leak or some other problem, you should fix the problem before selling your home.
Helpful Tips When Choosing a Roof Contractor
Now that you know how a new roof can increase the value of your home, it’s time to choose a roofing contractor that is right for you. Take a look at the following tips:
- Inquire about the Company’s Experience: When it comes to choosing a roofing contractor, you will find many different factors that should be taken into consideration. Of course, one of these factors is how long the company or individual has been in business for. This is very important as you don’t want to end up having to pay for poor workmanship or shoddy materials.
- Check Track Record: Find out whether a contractor has a good track record or not. Ask if there have been any complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). If so, ask them for details and if the outcome of those complaints was unsatisfactory.
- Check Portfolio: Find out more about the roofing company’s history and background. Take a look at the type of work that they have done in the past. Some roofing companies start off by installing residential roofs and later go on to complete major roofing projects like commercial and even luxury high-rise buildings.
- Ascertain Quality of Roofing Materials: It is also important to consider the quality of the materials that are used. There is no substitute for good, solid, well-engineered, well-anchored, durable materials. Some of the materials that contractors use include asphalt, slate, and shingle. The roofing company you’re checking into may use these same materials but in lesser quantities or in combination with other cheaper materials. Do not ignore questions or concerns about the quality of materials used.
- Interview: When all is said and done, it is important to know how to choose a new roofing contractor who can meet your needs. If you need specific roofing material, it is better to get information from the installers themselves. Good contractors will give you honest and direct answers to all of these questions.
A new roof can drastically increase your home’s market value because of its great aesthetic appeal, greater interior home protection, and better technology with improved energy-efficiency and cost-savings. Installing a new roof would also mean less repairs, longer warranties, and priceless comfort for your family.